Forum

Best Lens for Nikon...

Notifications
Clear all

Best Lens for Nikon Z8 for Street Photography ?

4 Posts
5 Users
4 Likes
Topic starter

Hello fellow photographers! I recently acquired the incredible Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera and I'm excited to dive into the world of street photography. However, I find myself overwhelmed by the vast array of lens options available for this system. I'm hoping to tap into the collective knowledge and experience of this community to help me choose the best lens for capturing the essence of street life with my Z8.

My Requirements

• Compact and lightweight for easy maneuverability
  • Fast aperture for low light performance and subject separation
  • Focal length suitable for street scenes (I'm thinking 35mm or 50mm)
  • Quick and accurate autofocus to capture fleeting moments
  • High optical quality for sharp, detailed images

Lenses I'm Considering

1. NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S

This seems like a strong contender with its classic street photography focal length and wide f/1.8 aperture. I've read great things about its sharpness and fast autofocus. However, some users mention that it might be a bit too "clinical" looking for the gritty street aesthetic.

2. NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S

Another popular choice for its versatile focal length and excellent low light capabilities. The 50mm perspective appeals to me for its ability to isolate subjects while still providing context. My concern is that it might be slightly too tight for some street scenarios where I want to capture more of the scene.

3. NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S

I know, I know - a zoom lens for street photography? Hear me out. The flexibility of a zoom could come in handy for quickly adapting to different situations without having to change lenses. The f/4 aperture is a bit slower than I'd like, but the convenience factor is tempting. Is the image quality and low light performance good enough?

4. NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8

A bit of a wildcard option, but I've seen some great street shots taken with wide-angle lenses. The compact size and affordability of this lens are attractive. I worry that 28mm might be too wide and distorted for my taste, but perhaps the unique perspective could lead to some interesting creative opportunities.

Other Considerations

• Is there a big difference in autofocus speed and accuracy between these lenses?
  • How do they compare in terms of flare resistance and weather sealing for shooting in challenging conditions?
  • Are there any third-party options I should consider (e.g. Sigma, Tamron)?
  • Would investing in a manual focus lens with a Z adapter be a viable option for the street photography look I'm after?

I'm eager to hear your thoughts, experiences, and sample images if you've used any of these lenses for street photography on the Nikon Z system. Let's dive into the pros and cons of each option and hopefully narrow it down to the perfect lens for capturing the pulse of the streets with the Z8.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

4 Answers

Hi there! I've been shooting street photography with my Nikon Z8 for the past 6 months and I absolutely love the combination of the NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S lens. This focal length is perfect for capturing the essence of street scenes without being too wide or too narrow. The f/1.8 aperture is fantastic for low light situations and creating beautiful subject separation.

I find the autofocus to be incredibly fast and accurate, even in challenging conditions. The lens is also very sharp, producing detailed images with excellent contrast. I haven't noticed any issues with flare or weather sealing - it's held up well in various environments.

While some may find the 35mm rendering a bit too "clean" for the classic street look, I personally appreciate the modern sharpness and clarity. It fits my style of street photography, which tends to focus on isolated moments and details rather than gritty, high-contrast scenes.

Overall, I highly recommend the NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S for street photography on the Nikon Z system. It's a versatile, high-performing lens that has become my go-to for capturing the streets.

Another vote for the NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S from me! 🙌 It's an absolute gem of a lens that was born for street photography.

To address a few of your other considerations:

• Autofocus speed: The 35mm f/1.8 is one of the quickest focusing lenses I've used. It's snappy and decisive, even in low light.
  • Weather sealing: The lens has great build quality and weather sealing. I've used it in light rain with no issues. Just be careful not to soak it!
  • Third-party options: Honestly, the Nikon Z native lenses are so good that I haven't felt the need to explore third-party alternatives. The 35mm f/1.8 is reasonably priced for the performance you get.

One thing to note - the lens hood is quite large, which can draw some attention on the streets. I usually shoot without the hood for a more discreet look.

Manual focus lenses could be a fun creative challenge, but for the fast-paced nature of street photography, I prefer the reliability of autofocus. YMMV!

Hope this helps sway you towards the 35mm f/1.8. It's a near-perfect street photography lens that won't disappoint. Happy shooting! 📸😄

I'm going to offer a slightly different perspective - don't sleep on the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8! 😮 I know 28mm is a bit unconventional for street photography, but hear me out.

Advantages of the 28mm f/2.8:

• Ultra compact and lightweight - perfect for staying discreet and agile on the streets
  • Wider field of view allows you to capture more of the scene and environment
  • Surprisingly sharp for such an affordable lens
  • f/2.8 aperture is decent for low light and subject separation (obviously not as good as f/1.8 though)

The wider perspective does take some getting used to, but it can lead to really dynamic and immersive street photos. You can get close to your subjects and create a sense of intimacy and involvement.

Downsides:

• Some distortion at the edges, especially on close-up subjects
  • 28mm is not as versatile as 35mm or 50mm for other types of photography
  • Autofocus is a bit slower than the higher-end S lenses

Ultimately, it comes down to your personal style and preferences. If you want a classic street photography look, go for the 35mm or 50mm. But if you're open to experimenting with a wider perspective, the 28mm f/2.8 is a fun and affordable option to consider.

I've included some of my favorite street shots taken with the 28mm to give you a sense of what's possible. Let me know what you think!

Posted by: @happyman

NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S

For street photography, I also recommended this lens for lightweight.

Share: