Tokina has just officially announced the new Tokina atx-m 85mm F1.8 FE lens for full-frame Sony mirrorless cameras. It is a medium telephoto lens, featuring 10 elements, one of which is ‘SD’ low-dispersion, an STM motor for ‘quite and speedy’ autofocus and with all autofocus functions of Sony cameras, a minimum focus distance of 0.8m and a max magnification of 0.13x. This new lens costs $499, first available for pre-order at B&H/ Adorama.
Tokina atx-m 85mm f/1.8 FE Overview
- Portrait-length prime is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras but can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 127.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.8 design strikes an ideal balance between portability and a fast design and maintains a sleek profile while benefitting depth of field and low-light shooting needs.
- One SD low dispersion element is featured in the optical design and helps to control chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color accuracy.
- Super Low Reflection Multi-Coating reduces ghosting and flare for increased contrast and color fidelity and also helps to repel water, oil, and dust from the front lens element.
- ST-M stepping motor achieves fast and especially quiet autofocus performance and the all-metal focus unit also contributes to a dampened manual focus feel for improved control. Additionally, this system uses an internal focusing mechanism to limit the overall length of the lens and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- The lens mount is fitted with an electronic interface that conveys all lens Exif data to the camera and is also fully compatible with in-camera functions, such as image stabilization, Eye AF, MF assist, and other functions.
Below are the detailed specifications:
|Lens type||Prime lens|
|Max Format size||35mm FF|
|Focal length||85 mm|
|Lens mount||Sony FE|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9|
|Special elements / coatings||1 SD element + Multi-coating|
|Minimum focus||0.80 m (31.5″)|
|Motor type||Stepper motor|
|Full time manual||No|
|Focus distance limiter||No|
|Weight||645 g (1.42 lb)|
|Diameter||93 mm (3.66″)|
|Length||80 mm (3.15″)|
|Filter thread||72 mm|
Read more Tokina lens rumors