Klaus Schroiff has just posted a detailed review of the newly released Canon RF 35mm F1.8 Macro IS STM lens (Amazon/ B&H/ Adorama) at the opticallimits. This new lens has a rare quality in today’s mirrorless world at an affordable price of $449. It is also very fast, provides macro capabilities down to an object magnification of 1:2 plus image stabilization.
- It is obvious that the lens barrel is made of plastic, but the construction is very good. The focus ring rotates smoothly. Focusing extends the inner lens barrel slightly.
- The AF motor is a stepping motor, and there is no problem with the AF speed, but it cannot be said to be fast. The operation sound is not silent like USM, but a high sound comes out during AF operation. AF accuracy had some problems surprisingly unexpected for a mirrorless camera.
Image stabilization did not reach the nominal 5 stops, but the results were close to it.
- Distortion is almost zero when automatic correction is enabled, and it is very good with a 1% barrel shape even when uncorrected.
- The peripheral light fallout is uncorrected and is tremendous at 3.8 EV, which is tremendous, and must be reduced to F4 (1.16 EV at F4) to be within the allowable range. It is recommended to use the automatic correction for the marginal light drop. When automatic correction is enabled, it is open at 1.3EV, in other words, the signal in the peripheral area is sensitized by 2.5 steps together with noise.
- From the full aperture, most of the screen is very sharp and the corners are at least good. The resolution peaks at F4 and F5.6, with excellent values at the center and very good values at the edges and corners. The curvature of the image plane is very small.
Klaus Schroiff highly recommended this macro prime lens.
|SUPPORT LENS-RUMORS, BUY FROM ONE OF OUR AFFILIATE RETAILERS, THANKS !|
|Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS Macro
||check price||Amazon/ B&H/ Adorama|
Read more Canon Lens Rumors