Good News!!! Leica has officially announced the Leica Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2 lens. This is an M-mount lens characterized by its unique soft focus look and use of a removable center spot filter to enhance the lens’s dreamy qualities. it costs $6.495.00, now available for pre-order at B&H Photo Video and Adorama. This lens will start shipping in Mid November.
- Manual focus design provides a minimum focusing distance of 3.3′.
- Short telephoto focal length and bright f/2.2 maximum aperture are ideal for portraiture and isolating subject matter using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Based on the original Thambar from the 1930s, this updated version uses the same optical layout but features a single protective coating on the glass elements to guard against corrosion.
- Dedicated to producing soft focus imagery, this unique lens can be used in conjunction with the included center spot filter to increase the drama of the dreamy effect for striking, ethereal image quality.
- Deliberate under-correction of spherical aberration, along with a 20-blade diaphragm, produce a circular rendition of out-of-focus highlights along with an overall diffuse quality that becomes more exaggerated towards the edge of the frame.
- Dual aperture scales, in red and white, represent working with and without the center spot filter in place. Additionally, the aperture ring is stepless for smooth, precise adjustment that is not limited by click-stops.
- Included vintage brown hard leather case further reinforces the classic look and nostalgia of this lens, and contains a storage pocket for the included center spot filter in the lid. Additionally, the included specially designed metal lens hood and metal front lens cap are felt lined to protect the metal body of the lens from scratches.
|Aperture||f/2.2 to f/25|
|Camera Mount Type||Leica M|
|Angle of View||27°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||3.3′ / 1 m|
|Reproduction Ratio||Not specified by manufacturer|
|Optical Design||4 elements in 3 groups|
|Filter Thread||49 mm|
|Dimensions||2.2 x 3.5″ / 57 x 90 mm|
|Weight||1.1 lb / 500 g|
Read more Leica Lens Rumors