Best Two Lenses for...

Notifications
Clear all

Best Two Lenses for Nikon Z8 ?

6 Posts
7 Users
13 Likes
Topic starter

I recently purchased the new Nikon Z8 mirrorless camera and I'm looking to put together a compact two lens kit for general purpose photography - portraits, travel, landscapes, etc. If you could only choose two native Z-mount lenses to pair with the Z8, which would you recommend and why?

Some lenses I'm considering:

• NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S - Pro level standard zoom
  • NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S - Ultra-wide angle zoom
  • NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - Telephoto zoom
  • NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S - Fast prime for portraits/low light
  • NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S - Macro lens

I'm leaning towards the 24-70mm f/2.8 as an all-purpose workhorse and one of the primes, either the 50mm f/1.2 or 105mm macro. The 24-70mm covers a very useful focal range and the fast primes would complement it well.

But I'd love to get other Nikon shooters' opinions. If you were building a two lens kit for the Z8, which lenses would you choose and why? How do you think they would work as a versatile combo?

Topic Tags
6 Answers

Hi @tom8, congrats on your new Nikon Z8! I think you're on the right track with your lens considerations. Here's my take on a versatile two lens kit for the Z8:

1. NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S

• Covers the most useful standard zoom range from wide angle to short telephoto
  • Pro-level optics for exceptional sharpness, contrast and color rendition across the frame
  • Fast f/2.8 constant aperture is great for low light and subject isolation
  • Ideal as a general purpose, walk-around lens that can handle a variety of situations

The 24-70mm f/2.8 is the foundation of many pro photographers' kits for good reason. On the Z8 it will give you a lot of flexibility for everything from landscapes to portraits.

2. NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S

• Super fast f/1.2 aperture is perfect for portraits, low light, and extreme subject isolation
  • Pristine prime lens optics for ultimate sharpness and rendering
  • 50mm focal length provides a natural perspective for a variety of subjects
  • Pairs well with the 24-70mm when you need a faster aperture or prefer primes

The 50mm f/1.2 is an exceptional lens and one of the best in the Z lineup. It will really shine mounted on the high resolution Z8 for portrait work and available light shooting.

While a macro like the 105mm f/2.8 is also an excellent choice, I feel the 50mm f/1.2 may be a bit more versatile as your second lens. You can always add the macro later to expand your kit.

The 14-24mm and 70-200mm zooms are stellar performers too. But for a compact two lens kit, I think the 24-70mm and 50mm f/1.2 primes will give you the most flexibility and image quality in a small package.

NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S and NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.2 S lenses.

I suggest you take a look at Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 G2 lens. This is another great standard zoom lens with a cheaper price range.

I would choose:

• NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S - Telephoto zoom
  • NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S - Fast prime for portraits/low light

If I could only have two Z-mount lenses for the Nikon Z8, I would choose the:

1. NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S
  2. NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S

The 24-70mm f/2.8 is an essential standard zoom that covers a versatile range from wide angle to short telephoto - perfect for landscapes, environmental portraits, street photography, and more. With a fast constant aperture, it excels in low light and creates nice background blur for subject isolation. Optically, it's tack sharp edge to edge.

Pairing it with the 70-200mm f/2.8 gives you an awesome zoom range in a compact two lens kit. The 70-200mm is ideal for portraits with flattering compression and it brings far away subjects much closer for sports, wildlife, and travel. Like the 24-70mm, it has a fast f/2.8 aperture for blurring backgrounds and stellar image quality across the entire frame. The vibration reduction (VR) stabilization lets you shoot handheld even at slower shutter speeds.

Together, these two pro-level zooms strike a versatile balance of wide-angle and telephoto coverage while maintaining a portable kit. With professional sharpness, speed, and low light performance, they will serve you well for almost any shooting scenario.

Posted by: @klllwme

I suggest you take a look at Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 G2 lens. This is another great standard zoom lens with a cheaper price range.

Any review and test about this new lens ?

Share: