Along with the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens, Canon also announced the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS Lens. This new lens costs $2,999, first available for pre-order at Amazon/ B&H/ Adorama. It will start shipping from December 26, 2019.
Below are the key features:
- Portrait-length prime is designed for full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless digital cameras.
- Exceptionally bright f/1.2 maximum aperture affords extensive control over depth of field for selective focus applications and also benefits working in low-light situations.
- Defocus Smoothing coating helps to achieve an especially soft and smooth bokeh quality when working at wide aperture positions. While this coating softens the look and feel of the out-of-focus regions in an image, sharpness is still retained on the in-focus portions for noticeable subject separation and an overall three-dimensional quality. The effect is greatest when working at f/1.2, however the DS coating requires approximately 1.3 stops more exposure than the standard version of the lens when shooting wide open. By f/3.2, the two versions of the lens have nearly identical light transmission and performance.
- Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics element virtually eliminates color fringing and chromatic aberrations by refracting shorter wavelengths of the visible spectrum (blue light).
- One aspherical element and one UD element also help to control aberrations and distortions for sharper, clearer image quality.
- An Air Sphere Coating (ASC) has been applied to lens elements to reduce backlit flaring and ghosting for maintained light transmission and high contrast in strong lighting conditions.
- Ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with optimized focusing algorithms, a high-speed CPU, and an internal focusing design, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens has a weather-resistant design that protects against dust and moisture to enable its use in inclement conditions.
- Rounded 9-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
Read more Canon Lens Rumors